Habitat for Humanity of Clay & Yankton Counties is looking to fill the Executive Director position. Please see job description along with how to apply below!
Executive Director – Job Description
The Executive Director, in accordance with the objectives, policies and directives set forth by the affiliate Board of Directors provides overall executive leadership for the Affiliate and Resale Store. The Executive Director must enhance the profile of Habitat for Humanity Clay and Yankton Counties (HFHCYC) through positive community relations among affiliate volunteers, human service providers, business leaders and the community. Additionally, the HFHCYC profile enhancement will include: volunteer coordination, education and advocacy, community and resource development, and marketing and publicity. The Executive Director must understand and be committed to carrying out the mission, providing administrative and fundraising leadership, and serving as a HFHCYC representative for community functions. The core of Habitat’s Christian Housing Ministry is a firm commitment to eliminate substandard housing from the face of this earth.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Builds Relationships and Partnerships.Builds and maintains working relationships with the Board, staff and community. Establishes collaborative relationships that are mutually beneficial.
- HFH International Awareness, Respect and Advocacy.Leads people in the understanding that they are part of a global movement and keeps Habitat for Humanity’s worldwide work on the heart and minds of others.
- Team Development, Coaching and Communication. Is able to pull together a diverse group of people and develop them into highly effective teams. Offers constructive feedback and encouragement to employees and volunteers; effectively delegates responsibility and encourages individual initiative. Expresses ideas clearly and concisely. Is a willing and patient listener.
- Community Development, Housing Policy and Issues.Can articulate basic principles of community development to relate to HFHYC’s work and understands the history, as well as key issues in housing policy and affordable housing development.
- Financial Management. Has the skill necessary to oversee budget, financial management and reporting responsibilities.
- Marketing-Public Relations and Communicates Vision. Understands brand value, marketing strategy, research and planning and uses these skills to sell the organization ’s services and to secure effective partnerships. Understands, stays focused on, and effectively communicates the organization’s vision, mission and goals, is able to inspire through presentation of information. Is the public face and corporate spokesperson for Habitat Clay Yankton Counties.
- Administration and Organization. Can organize and manage projects and people well; can handle situations where there is no prescribed method for proceeding. Able to implement processes and procedures for ongoing work and effectively set priorities. Is able to multi-task effectively.
- Problem Solving, Decision Making, Crisis Management. Is skilled at gathering information, analyzing problems, recognizing trade-offs, making effective decisions and following through. Can make good decisions under pressure; has the ability to remain calm, resolute and resilient under stress.
- Change Management, Innovation and Results Oriented. Introduces activities that position the affiliate for the future; uses effective strategies to facilitate organizational change and overcome resistance to change. Seizes new opportunities and consistently generates new ideas offers novel ideas and perspectives.
- Committed to Making a Difference. Demonstrates a strong commitment to the success of
the organization and is willing to sacrifice for that success.
Non-profit Organizational Development. Have an understanding of the fundamentals of developing and managing a nonprofit organization including governance. Develops an open, honest relationship with the board of directors; maintains clear roles and lines of communication and accountability. Reveals challenges and opportunities effectively. Utilizes committees to implement the strategic plan. Able to lead the organization through plans for growth and transition.
- Residential Construction and Real Estate.Has a basic understanding of residential construction practices so that they may be able to communicate with others regarding decisions affecting this area of the organization. Has a basic understanding of real estate property acquisition and sales transactions.
- Resource Development and Volunteer Management.Able to work collaboratively with a board of directors to create and implement a resource development plan that integrates diverse funding sources. Sees the importance of utilizing volunteers in all aspects of operations; able to lead an organization that deploys volunteers effectively.
- Primary responsibility of the Executive Director is to cultivate relationships and develop a fund development strategy
- Supports Fund Development Committee to create and execute an annual campaign plan and other yearly fundraising events.
- Actively involved in community events and partnerships
- Public speaking opportunities to raise awareness and funds for the organization
- Attends and provides support at all committee meetings
- Recruits, interviews, selects, develops and manages staff
- Assists with homeowner applications, provides mortgage origination, loan servicing support, and support to partner families
- General bookkeeping and office management
- Compliance reporting, regulation maintenance, policies and procedures maintenance
- Daily administrative duties such as answering phones, mail, distribution and filing
- Performs related duties as required but not articulated
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Excel, PowerPoint, email systems and web research
- Quality customer service, time management, leadership and team skills
- Work values should reflect that of a Christian housing ministry
- Ability to take initiative on tasks, anticipates and sets priorities, and meets deadlines
- Ability to keep highly sensitive personal and financial information confidential
- Strong public speaking and development of presentations
- Self-motivated, able to work independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to delegate work and instruct volunteers
- Must be detail-oriented and possess the ability to multi-task
POLICY LEVEL IMPACT:
- Must comprehend legal matters related to affiliate operations. Informs and supports the board of directors in developing and implementing an overall risk management strategy, which includes insurance, business practices and ongoing assessment liability.
- Bachelor Degree or equivalent in work experience in Business, Public Relations, Human Resource Management or another related field
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS NECESSARY TO PERFORM THIS JOB:
- Must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds
- Must have the ability to travel when needed, which requires a valid driver’s license, insurance and access to a vehicle
Reports to: The Board President
Hours: Full-time salaried position
Submit your cover letter, resume & 3 references.
In-person or by Mail: 218 Capital Street Yankton, SD 57078